My World

No pictures. Just words...in sentences.

Monday, December 05, 2005

12 Days

I know it's a little early, but I've got some fun memories concerning 12 Days of Christmas.

1. I've done the 12 days for other people before as a Secret Santa type thing. Starting on 12/12, I've done it two ways. Once it was 1 gift a night and a note with something relating to that day according to the song. The other time, I did 1 gift on night one, 2 on night two, etc., down to 12 on night twelve. Of course when you do something like that, as you get to the last night which will be the 24th, the items do tend to get a little smaller.

2. I was at a friend's house at a party and they were singing the 12 days of Christmas. Each guest was given a card with 3 or 4 numbers. (one would have 1, 5, 9 and another might have 4, 7, 12 and so on). The song began. If your number was on your card, you were to stand up and sing the item. Everybody sang the "on the first day of Christmas my true love gave to me." It was always a different combination of people standing and singing on the different days. That was pretty fun, even if you weren't exactly in a party kind of mood.

3. When I was very young, my parents helped some friends of their move. Most of the men were Hawaiian and it had to be sometime in December because they were singing the Hawaiian 12 days. The Hilo Hattie website as part of their Holiday promotions is sending out the Hawaiian 12 days via e-mail. It started around Thanksgiving. Since I was so young that I really didn't remember (or care at the time), it's been kind of neat to see what they are.

4. Bravo's got a 100 things we love about the holidays special on their show rotation. One of the things is the John Denver and the Muppets and they show part of the 12 days. I always thought it was funny how the muppets would do this "dum dum dum" between #5 and #4. Kinda like how people add stuff to Rudolph now.

Personally, I'm fine. What's not fine I will get through.

1 Comments:

  • At 10:14 PM, Blogger Marianne said…

    Those a great memories! I think you have a better memory than I do.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home