My World

No pictures. Just words...in sentences.

Saturday, October 04, 2008

Weekend lessons

This weekend is something that is known in the LDS church as Conference Weekend. Twice a year, in April and October, for a Saturday and Sunday, the world stops as LDS faithful find a TV or head to a church building to watch it on the satellite.

In the past, it has served as a prophetic "there, there, we can get through this" when the world is crazy and one is looking for a voice of sanity or spirituality--even if things aren't as ok as we'd like them to be. The majority of the talks today were very cognizant of the troubled times we live in and dealing with adversity.

There's a part of me that wants to say "la la la I'm not listening I don't believe you." Sadly, I know better. Getting that much prophetic warning in a few hours time does make me think. I don't think the sky is falling, but I don't think that all is well in Zion either. In fact, I was talking to a friend a while back reminiscing about when we THOUGHT we lived in troubled times. Compared to today, those times were nothing!

Rather than bury my head in the sand, I'll most likely do what I've always done. Take care of today and what I can control and set the rest aside, at least for now. Prepare, but don't obsess. Keep reading scripture and praying and trying to do the right thing. Remember that I am the one who chooses my mood and my temperment and I can choose to laugh or choose to cry.

While I can choose how I respond, I cannot choose to avoid it as tempting as that might sound.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home