My World

No pictures. Just words...in sentences.

Monday, October 27, 2008

Showing love

Something happened this weekend that took me to a place I never thought I would visit again. It was 15 years ago, 1993, the worst year of my life. Usually I only share some of what went on that year and leave out a lot. Even my parents' deaths was not worse than the things that happened that year.

For the first time in my life I was glad that I had gone through the worst year of my life. Someone was having problems that I had and with the proper help had been able to overcome and I was able to come to her from a place of experience. At least I thought I could.

I soon realized that I was in over my head. I was not a mental health professional and she was beyond peer or experiential help. I believe she will get it.

In 1981, when I was in college, I had undiagnosed depression. There was one night that was especially horrible and I tried to make some plans I'm not proud of. I was working and after work, I knew I would have the apartment to myself. Well, I got home and my roommate had other plans. She told me that I was going out with her and another friend for Halloween and she would not take no for an answer. I was rather annoyed, but I finally went out with them. I had a great time. She may never know what she did for me that night, because all that year she thought I didn't like her. How could someone believe that after what she did for me!?

We don't always know or believe that people love us or are showing love to us when they get on our nerves and make us feel uncomfortable, or we even think they feel the opposite towards us. People who love us are out there. Sometimes we don't recognize them at the time that they show us the most love.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home