My World

No pictures. Just words...in sentences.

Sunday, February 05, 2006

time

They say that time heals all wounds. I don't necessarily feel healed by time, but I know that the distance does help put perspective on things.

Ninety two years ago today, my Gpa was born. Somewhere in a moving box is a history of him that my aunt (his younger sister) made. It's a nice biography and talks about some things that didn't surprise me about my Gpa but I thought they were really neat.

Gpa had limited education, his father having died when he was young. Gpa was the oldest so it fell upon him to help support his family. His mother was an artist, but so was Gpa. Not only an artist but also a craftsman. He was even an inventor. Nothing in the patent office bears his name, but he came up with things that someone else down the line did patent.

I was their only grandchild and I was blessed to have him in my life 35 years. This summer it will have been 10 years since he died. I still miss him. It's not quite as raw as with my parents, partly because I had my dad to help get me through losing my grandparents.

My grandparents were better at being grandparents than they were parents to my mother. However, that is not my fault, nor is it my mother's fault. It's just how it was.

1 Comments:

  • At 12:33 AM, Blogger Marianne said…

    My grandma and grandpa were the same way -- better at grandparenting. They were very good at that.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home