My World

No pictures. Just words...in sentences.

Friday, December 23, 2005

Santa and Me

I had to really think back for this story, and the memory's a bit sketchy, but I was reminded of this on my way home from work this afternoon.

The talk radio station I listen to (the FM one in town) had Santa Claus as a guest and he was talking to children who were calling in and telling him what they wanted for Christmas. It was cute, because sometimes Santa and the host weren't very familiar with the toys the children were asking for, but I don't really think that the children cared too much about those slip ups.

Oh to be as forgiving as little children instead of bitter and cynical like we sometimes get as adults.

What else was cute was when Santa would ask a child if he or she had been good and they'd say something like "I tried" or "I think so" or "I don't know", he'd say "well, let me check. I don't see you on my naughty list."

Anyway, listening to this reminded me of a time when I was a child that my parents took me to go see Santa Claus. I don't recall how old I was or what I asked for that year. I just talked to him and he would ask me if I had been good. Then he asked me "do you drink your milk?" (back in the 60's, that was a major thing to tell children to do) I said "no." I think I shocked him because he didn't really know what to say after that. He asked me why. I said "I'm allergic to milk." So, instead he asked me if I was eating my vegetables. I love veggies, so of course I said yes.

I know I found that rather odd, because I had been taught that Santa knew everything. I remember telling my mom and dad about it, but not that I thought it was weird. I think I finally just realized that Santa only knows everything because he has a lot of help and a giant computer and that's why he doesn't have to remember everything, which allows him to concentrate on the big job he has.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home