My World

No pictures. Just words...in sentences.

Saturday, January 14, 2006

the ice

It's the season for figure skating. I really enjoy watching the competitions.

With one exception. I dread any broadcast that ABC does for one reason and one reason alone: "DICK! Button your mouth and let the skating speak for itself!!" (pun intended)

This guy drives me nuts! I would love nothing more than to be able to mute just the incessant commentary because not only does he comment about the skating, but he has to tell everybody why he's right and how his opinion is the one that matters and what we should think about the performances. I don't care that you're a two time Olympic gold medalist, I've seen skating enough to know when someone's made a misstep or when someone was scored unfairly.

When I was younger, I really didn't care and I don't think he was as bad as he is now that he's gotten older. He barely gives anybody else a chance to speak and won't shut up and let us watch it. In fact, back in the day, ABC had a lock on all the skating programs. I didn't realize how painful it was until I saw how other sports broadcasters covered skating. Even others who talk during the skater's program know to shut up once in a while and let us watch.

In the next version of Tivo and DVR's, please come up with a way to mute out the commentary but not the music. Maybe then Dick Button will finally sound better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home