My World

No pictures. Just words...in sentences.

Thursday, November 17, 2005

One at a time, please.

There's an old question I've heard a time or two in my life. "How do you eat an elephant?"

First, who would WANT to eat an elephant? I don't think the meat would be that tasty. It would probably be tough because of all the muscles and it would be incredibly hard to cut because the skin is so tough. Besides getting in trouble with all the environmental groups isn't something I would like to experience.

Okay, so nobody really wants to eat an elephant. So why is the question asked?

The question is asked because at many times in our life we are faced with something large and seemingly insurmountable and the only way to get through it is to break it down into manageable pieces. The answer to the elephant question is "one bite at a time."

There are so many versions to this, from Confucious "the journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step" to Bill W. "just take it one day at a time."

My friends will sometimes ask me how I'm doing on a project that is down the road and I will tell them the truth: I haven't thought about it yet because I'm working on the project that's due next week.

A bite at a time, a step at a time, a day at a time, it's all the same. One at a time, please.

1 Comments:

  • At 11:18 PM, Blogger Marianne said…

    Do you think the person who ate the elephant one bite at a time would have done it if he knew he was going to eat a whole elephant before he started?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home