My World

No pictures. Just words...in sentences.

Monday, November 14, 2005

writers block

I don't know if it's the Monday blahs, Mercury in retrograde, or what, but I honestly can't think of a thing to write tonight. I know I need to keep up the habit, so I guess I'll write about what to do when I don't know what to write about.

I've had this problem in my Toastmasters experience as well. I could be scheduled to give a speech and the afternoon before the meeting I'm scrambling to find a topic to speak about because I just can't think of a thing.

I know that some suggest keeping an idea/story file so that when they're blocked they can flip through it and see if something catches their attention.

Others try to quiet their mind hoping that something deep inside will finally speak to them now that they're listening.

Others sit around and complain about how their ideas won't flow and they seem to be blocked, needing a laxative to get those ideas moving again.

Me? I do a little of everything, however I mostly distract myself hoping that will get me thinking again. Not a run-away distraction, but just working on my crocheting or needlepoint--something repetitive and not too difficult so that I can lose myself just a little yet still be present enough to notice when inspiration hits.

1 Comments:

  • At 12:20 AM, Blogger Marianne said…

    This is what I'm having tonight, writer's block. I empathize!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home