My World

No pictures. Just words...in sentences.

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Ted and Dad

Late last night, they broke in to programming to announce the death of Ted Kennedy. Earlier this week on my facebook page, I did a "top 5" poll of people who I disagreed with but found intriguing. I put him on my list. I've always been intrigued by the Kennedy family dynamic and their history. I tried reading "The Fitzgeralds and the Kennedys" but it was hard to stick with (apologies to the author). What I was able to read about the grandparents to the Kennedy clan as we know it was quite interesting.

I felt that I had nothing in common with this family but admired how the women stayed so strong in the face of adversity, and the Kennedys definitely had their share.

On my "top 5" poll, I explained the reason I put Ted on the list when I couldn't find a listing for the Kennedy family. Last year, Ted Kennedy was diagnosed with a malignant brain tumor called a glioma. I became a little too familiar with that when my dad developed one in 2001. My dad's prognosis was about a year, but he only lasted 3 months.

I realize that the Kennedys are grieving the loss of a loved one today. In their loss, I've been flooded with memories of my own loss from a similar diagnosis. In that respect, I guess I have something in common with the Kennedys after all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home