My World

No pictures. Just words...in sentences.

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

My Roomie's Boyfriend

(Posted on FB 4/24/2012)

I was rather surprised to get my BYU alumni magazine yesterday. No, not because I got one, but because of what was in it. I'm used to them posting obituaries of alumni who have passed on. I've seen many friends and loved ones on the list and people who were peers of my parents.

The reason this one took me by surprise was because of one of the names on it. It was my first year at BYU and I had this one roommate who was always bringing guys over to the apartment (not that there's anything wrong with that), some came back and some didn't visit as often. While my roommate was dating this one guy, it was announced that the Beach Boys would be in concert at the Marriott Center. I'd never been to that sort of concert before and being from Southern California, I just had to go. I gave my money to my roomie who had her then boyfriend get my ticket with theirs and some of his friends. They took me and made sure I did not feel like a 3rd wheel. I had a great time.

I was sad when they broke up. Later that year was a spring formal that most of our apartment went to. At my roommates suggestion and insistance, I went with her ex to dinner and to the dance. I had a great time.

I think I ran into him on campus once or twice the next year. I always wondered what had happened to him. I think you know where this is going. After I saw his name in the alumni mag, I googled for the obituary in the local newspaper. There was a picture. He wasn't as scrawny as he'd been when I knew him, but in the picture I could still recognize him.

I'm really sorry to hear that he's no longer around, but do look forward to the time I can look him up again someday in the afterlife and say "thanks" for making me feel special and included.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home