My World

No pictures. Just words...in sentences.

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Where was I?

(posted on FB 9/11/2010)

I was in California visiting my parents. This was supposed to be a vacation for me. They had just celebrated their 41st anniversary and my dad had just been diagnosed with a brain tumor. It was centered in his language area and he was already having some communication issues. I was staying in the garage apartment and had the tv on, woke up to the news, but since I was still half asleep, I wasn't sure if it was real or a dream.

I was called into the house because my folks wanted to make sure I knew what had happened. Apparently Dad heard it and yelled to Mom "honey, wake up, they're bombing the country!"

I remember it being so surreal. It took me a few days to realize that people had died. When I saw it, it was like I was watching a movie. I think that was my brain trying to protect me from the reality of what had happened.

Later that week, when they were having the memorial services, Dad and I went to a church building to watch one of the memorials. Dad started having some problems and needed medical attention. We ended up at the ER. He stayed overnight, but that was not the end of his health issues. The tumor was extremely aggressive.

The rest of the year was spent dealing with and taking care of Dad until he passed away that December.

I just can't think about 9/11 without thinking about my dad. It was the beginning of the end in a lot of ways.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home