My World

No pictures. Just words...in sentences.

Sunday, February 01, 2015

Super weekend!

Seems like everybody wants us to talk about Bruce Jenner, Bobbi Kristina, Deflation, and/or the Super Bowl.

I had a different type of super weekend. I was able to witness three rites of passage. Yesterday, I got to see one of my Primary (LDS Children's Organization) kids get baptized. Our faith feels that baptism is for those who are accountable, which is determined to be age 8. I love watching the little ones get baptized. Heck, I love watching anyone get baptized when they discover truth and want to open a new chapter in their lives.

The second rite of passage was a memorial service for a local radio personality. I was a faithful listener when my schedule allowed and her passing was a surprise. I was grateful to have interactions with her on Facebook and via emails. I even got to meet her once in person when a friend of mine had a book signing in town. I remember the day she read my "where was I" on the air on the anniversary of 9/11. I can't stand for long periods of time, but I was able to stand for this and go out among people I either only know online or through the radio.

Number three was a baby blessing. Since in the LDS church we don't baptize babies, we do formally give them their name and a blessing. It's a big event for the parents and grandparents and other interested parties.

Now the bonus moment. Seven years ago, I was teaching a different Primary class and I've always had a tradition that if I'm teaching during Christmas, I give each of the children a homemade ornament. One of the young ladies I taught seven years ago came up to me today and said "I have to show you something. We were going through our Christmas decorations and I found this." She showed me the ornament I'd made that year. "That day you gave it to me, I had to leave early. I ended up with a concussion later that day and that ornament is one of the few things I remember from that day."

I thought that was sweet. I always wondered what happened to those ornaments. It's nice when you give something you made and someone considers it of value. It makes me feel something I can't describe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home